HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Safe European Home

Man do I miss Joe Strummer. The Clash have influenced my life so much that it's hard for me to properly give credit. It would be an overstatement to say I follow their lead. For all you need to do is read "The Last Gang In Town" to understand it was not as idealistic as one would hope. And I highly recommend that book, if you can make it through the first 100 pages of history on the band members. But still, I try to live my life as much as possible in the ideals they expressed.

Sometimes there are just certain people or movies or music or books or religions or cartoons or movements that just connect with you. The Clash were one such band to me. I realize I idealize them way too much, but it's who I am and how I want to be. And I give them way too much credit for punk and the punk esthetic and punk ideals and whatnot. But again, it's what I've taken to heart and what I have used to shape the direction of my life.

With all that being said, I think sometimes people overlook "Give 'Em Enough Rope", their second CD. Everyone knows their self titled debut. And everyone knows "London Calling". Both are always on critics lists of the greatest CDs ever released. And while "Sandinista!" is arguably a beautiful disaster, people know the singles. And then there's "Combat Rock", with the MYV friendly hits "Rock the Casbah" and "Should I Stay or Should I Go?". But "Give 'Em Enough Rope" was a good statement in its own right. So I decided to include my favorite track from that CD - "Safe European Home". Most bands would kill to release a song as powerful as this. For The Clash, this song is just a footnote. Here's hoping Joe Strummer still plays it wherever he is now. ENJOY!



Tags:

*music*punk*indie*The Clash *Joe Strummer*Safe European Home*Give Em Enough Rope*London Calling*Combat Rock

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)