HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Monday, February 04, 2008

The Winners, The Losers, and You

That was an upset. Not that I was upset. Not that I cared. But, sometimes it is nice to see someone or some group overcome the odds. It makes life worth living when you witness the unexpected.

Here you have the New York Giants. A team that got in the playoffs on a wild card whim. Maybe they are up and coming. Maybe they're slackers. It doesn't matter how they got to the Super Bowl, but they got there.

On the other side of the fence you have the New England Patriots who didn't lose a game all season. The miracle team. God's gift to the NFL. A sport's buff's wet dream.

I guess it just proves that perfection is over-rated. Results are what matters. No one is going to remember who lost or how good a team was up until the last game. If you didn't win, you didn't win. The Patriots didn't win. I guess they're not robots.

The Giants got lucky. Maybe they just wanted it a bit more. Maybe the Patriots caved-in. It's really no big deal.

They'll head off to their mansions and sit around the house for awhile Maybe take a nice vacation. Every member of Giants will have an inflated ego while the Patriots will sulk for a day or two. The rest of us assholes will get on with our lives.

Giants fan will no doubt will rejoice in the moment. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. We all need some thing to celebrate even if we are not directly linked to the winning franchise.

Hell, I bleed red and white come the NHL playoffs. I got my vices. I know those guys don't give a damn about anybody but themselves. They're athletes not humanitarians.

I guess I feel the same way about politicians. I look at Hillary and I feel disappointed. It's not that I think that she would be such a bad president, but it is more of the same. I can picture her throwing a fit if she loses the Democratic ticket. This is her time, damnit. How dare some wetback from Illinois take that away what she rightfully earned? It's the sense of entitlement that pisses me off.

I'll be honest. I have some doubts about Obama. The guy comes off sincere, but I'm not a hundred percent sure he can deliver. Then again that might not be such a bad thing. Bush delivered us hell. An Obama presidency might be an incremental step in the right direction. He's fairly new to the game, and he's got vision. Something none of these other candidates have. Vision doesn't always deliver results, but it can set a foundation. I argue that we need that more than ever. These are some bleak times.

The Republican field is narrowing. McCain looks like the comeback kid. Too bad it's not 2000. The world has changed a lot in 8 years. I honestly feel bad for the guy. Not enough to vote for him, but I am sympathetic. He is a shell of his former self.

If he was our president in 2000, the USA would be much better off. We certainly wouldn't have gone to war with Iraq. Osama bin Laden would have been caught. Hell maybe 9/11 would have never happened. I can't imagine McCain saying, "Go away I'm chopping me some wood," when someone delivers a memo stating that Bin Laden is determined to strike the USA. He probably would have read the memos stating that some suspicious Arabic men were taking flying lessons and crashing their virtual planes.

Now.... it's too late. We all paid a heavy price. This 3 dollar gas sticker shock. The out of control spending. These tax cuts, which are nothing more than fraud against future Americans. I see blood. I see destruction. I see suffering. I see the decline of this great nation.

The next president has his/her work cut out for them. The great American experiment is broken. I don't know if it can even be fixed or if it is even worth saving. It all comes down to whether or not we can realize that this is our last shot to make things right.

Elections come and go, but this one is bigger than any that I ever seen in my lifetime. It certainly isn't about haircuts, name calling, sexism, religion, or the color of our skin. It's about something bigger than ourselves and I think that is worth mentioning.

Instead of asking how a Mormon will fit in with your moral compass, perhaps it is worth examining whether or not the person in question represents all of us.

America is more than oil companies, Wall Street brokers, investment bankers, defense contractors, and trust fund babies. There is no single religion or group of religions, which define us. There is no single shade of color to our skin.

Ask yourself if the candidate you are supporting will look after those in our society who are weak as well as those of us who are prosperous and everyone in-between. Is the candidate fair or do they have an agenda to make their friends and donors rich? This is our last shot and I hope we make the right decision.

Tags:
* * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * *

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So many folks say they 'hate' Hillary.

I don't hate the person..I can't stomach her politics is all.

Now, George Bush..thats a jackass I can get behind hating on..what a piece of work that guy is.

Thanks for stopping by my sports blog. I can't write about politics all the time..so I love the diversio of sports ;)

2/05/2008 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger Mike K said...

Yeah. I should stop by our supporters more often. I've been sick lately and busy with other crap.

Things will get interesting. I'm glad that Obama didn't get killed last night. I was hoping for an upset in his favor, but what can you do? He is less than a hundred down. All in all that is not too bad.

Hillary hate makes no sense to me either. I think it is partly from sexism. She would be a competent president, but she is a bit tied to the corporate world. I think the Republicans hate her because they know she would be effective and popular president. She's also fiscally conservative something their party hasn't been in a long time.

2/06/2008 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)