HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Drive to Win

Not sure if it's motivation or hunger or drive or what exactly is the right word. But it's that thing that really seems to bring success in whatever you are trying to do. Athletes definitely have it, though you do have plenty of examples of players who get by on raw ability. But you rarely if ever see one at the top of his craft that isn't driven and one of the hardest workers.

Entertainment is more of a crapshoot, as so many other factors come into play. But on a pure artistic level, this really comes into play. And in the business world this is especially true. While there is a certain threshold of intelligence that needs to exist, the smartest are rarely the most successful. Which means there is this other factor that plays such a huge part in your success.

It's interesting to me because it's hard to define what exactly this trait is or at the very least, hard to teach. It involves a certain amount of salesmanship, a degree of cut-throat, a very strategic ability, along with many other abilities. In my experience, it really does appear to be more of an inherent ability. Doesn't mean that your surroundings don't play a role. Bush 2: Electric Boogaloo has it, though I would argue that was a function of his arrogance, his parent's fame and money, and always being told how great he was. But it was much more of a lifelong thing than just having the right mentor or taking the right class.

The reason I bring this up is I'm always amazed by people who have this ability. I definitely know it's lacking from myself, at least in the business world. I'm very content with my place in life. It's not that I don't want to be recognized; it's just that I don't really have a desire to lead others. I'm sure this would be different with a different job. But in the industry I'm in, I'm very happy doing my job well and that being all. A job is a job for me. I would rather have my outside interests satisfy me than become dependent on my job for that satisfaction.

With all that being said, I've had some thought lately about summoning this drive into a new career choice - one that really interests me. Whenever I have these thoughts, I also have doubts about how to even get started. How does one go about finding their dream job? What is my dream job? All I know is that my dream job does not exist in my current field. But with my interests in entertainment and sports and politics, how can I translate my skills into these fields? And how do I go about finding those opportunities? Better yet, how I find that motivation I mentioned above to make this become a reality?

Tags:

*motivation*drive*dream job*hobbies *work*opportunities*politics*entertainment*music

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Interesting post. I think I understand what you're getting at. To me the two major parts of it are confidence and desire. Once you have those two things (I don't), you're most of the way there. Although I agree with you that there are other factors as well.

2/04/2008 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Tom G said...

That's probably true. I don't have those things either. I do wish I could muster up some enthusiasm but I'm not very good at faking unless it's something I want. Without the desire, I'm just content to do a job and collect a paycheck.

2/05/2008 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)