HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Steve Albini


On the drive to and from work I listened to "In Utero" by Nirvana. That CD has always been my favorite. Sure it's not as poppy or accessible as "Nevermind", but it's much more my taste. It's loud, aggressive, experimental, arty, yet very poppy still. And those drums man. Those drums are f$ckin' sinister. I just love the way this CD was recorded. It was a perfect match to put Steve Albini behind these songs.

And while "In Utero" is not my favorite CD ever, it may be my favorite sounding CD. There may be CDs a la "Pet Sounds" or Phil Spector with a lot more going on. The reach might have been greater. But with just guitars, bass, and drums I don't know if there is a better sounding CD.

So I just felt like giving a shoutout to Steve Albini. I remember at the time people criticizing him. Of course they wanted a "Nevermind Part 2". But he delivered a far superior album that just kicks ass from start to finish. And Steve Albini is prolific in his own right with his work with Shellac and Big Black. If you live in the Chicagoland area, try to find tickets somehow to see Shellac at The Hideout. I will definitely try to find some tickets to one of the sold-out shows.





Tags:

*entertainment*music *Albini *indie *punk*Shellac *Big Black *Nirvana*Nevermind *In Utero *drums*Hideout

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)