HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Da Vista Scam!

Hurray for all of us who are enslaved to the craptacular software giant for our Operating System needs. Granted we can switch to Linux. It's free and it can run well on anything. Alas most programs only run on Windoze. Not to mention that most people find Linux to be scary.

Vista is here... Got Money?

So now that Microsoft has released Vista... Should we all run out and get it? It is new after all and new means better, right?

I say not so fast there crapateers! Do you want to see your programs run at a snail pace? Don't you know that you need at least a gigabyte worth of RAM (You really need 2GB)? You also should have a 64 bit processor otherwise a Vista upgrade is pointless. And if your graphic card sucks.... well you'll just have to go out and buy yourself a new one. Aint't that a peach? While your at the store, you might want to purchase a new hard drive. Vista requires 15GB of space!

I know what you are thinking... Mike, it is only $150.00 at Amazon. Yes, that is true. But after you update your computer to run the stupid thing, you will be spending at least $300-$450 dollars. That's being conservative. It is quite possible that you have to buy a whole new system!

So what's a little bugger to do? Nothing. You heard me right. Let the weirdos trample each other to death for this bloated OS. I'll admit that the thing looks nice, but it doesn't do anything that XP can't do.

There is also a little problem called program capability. No doubt your existing 32-bit programs will have problems in a 64 bit environment. I'm not saying that they won't work, but they might have issues. No guarantees.

Also there is the whole issue of driver support. Your graphics card, sound card, printer, web cam, and other pieces of hardware will require a new driver in order to work with Vista. It is quite possible that a 64 bit driver does not even exist yet.

So how does Microsoft address these 32-64 bit concerns? Ahhhh.... I'm glad you asked. You can install either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the OS. Problem solved, right? I don't think so...

The reality is that soon or later you will need a 64 bit processor, 2GB of memory, and a good video card. There is no point in going backwards on that front. Do you need that today? No. Not unless you are falling for the Vista scam.

My advice is to wait. Wait until they come out with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. There is absolutely no sense in using it until the bugs are worked out and that is going to take at least 2 years.

If you are curious, you can run this application to see if Vista will laugh at your machine. Joy of joys!

Tags:
* * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * *
* * * * * * *
* * * *

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom G said...

Until I found out about Vista I was leaning towards buying a PC. Not anymore. Since my primary concern is video editing and this blog (hence why I've been slow to upgrade like I said I would at the beginning of the year) I'm buying an Apple. I was willing to forego the infinitely better editing software for the lower price...until I talked with my computer friend about Vista. It sounds like Vista is a complete disaster. It was built for idiots who have never used a computer before. A simple task was only quickly completed because he remembered the shortcuts. So I'm planning on buying an Apple over the next few weekends and with my copy of Final Cut I won't look back.

2/14/2007 06:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)