HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Athletes Say the Darnest Things

I'm sure everyone has heard this or seen this already, but here's Tim Hardaway's comments on Dan LeBatard's show:
"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and
I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It
shouldn't be in the world or in the United States.''

What an idiot!!! He's at least adament in his hatred of gays - no wavering here. So there's no chance for the whole going to rehab to fix my image. Really, what is wrong with professional athletes? I say this in a general sense because of the ignorance exhibited over the past few weeks with respect to their attitudes towards homosexuality. I'm paraphrasing here, since I didn't feel the need to comment on each incident. Taken together they paint a pervasive strain of homophobia within professional sports*.
  • Shavlik Randolph of the 76ers would be fine with a teammate coming out as long as he didn't try to infect him with his gayness or something to that affect.
  • Reactions of Bears players in disgust at the Snickers Super Bowl ad and their comments of disapproval of the "kiss".
  • Countless athletes saying they would not accept an openly gay athlete in their lockerroom after the John Amaechi story.

I guess I just don't get it. Even if they think homosexuality is a choice, why is it seemingly the worst offense in mankind? For athletes don't express the same level of concern with a teammates accused of crimes. I personally would be more afraid of a teammate involved in a brawl than an openly gay teammate. But that's just me and no matter how much I practice I will never be a professional athlete.

*I get that these are just a handful of examples. But I think that in itself is indicative. If it was so easy to get these reactions and comments from athletes what does that say about the attitudes of athletes in general. And I know I'm leaving out good comments - sorry, you don't get acknowledged in my world for doing what is expected or just plain old human nature.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate you too!!!

2/15/2007 04:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)