HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tis the Season

The end of the year is winding down. I can not wait to spend some time with the family. I don't get to see them very often since they live in another state. I was last in town for my sister's wedding. That was good stuff. In other words I tossed a few back and had an awesome time.

It's a weird phenomenon. When I was young, I wanted to see the rest of the country. The last thing I wanted was to live a hour or less away from the folks. It just did not seem that exciting living in suburban Detroit.

These days, I often wish I lived closer. There is a lot of things that I miss living on the East Coast: weddings, funerals, birthday parties, baptisms, graduations, baseball games, etc... There is nothing great about being a long distant friend or relative. Sure... I might live in a more exciting place, but to be honest I no longer take advantage of it like I used to. The last time I was in NYC was over the summer. Besides NYC is not a replacement for the people that I enjoy spending time with.

There was a period when I almost moved back to Michigan. I broke up with the girl I was dating for 2 years and there didn't seem to be any real reason to stay. The only thing that was keeping me here was graduate school and my job. After a tumultuous 8 months of lackluster dating, I met the women who would become my wife.

It's all good. I get along well with my wife's family and I couldn't ask for a better wife. When I do spend time in Michigan, I make every moment count. Perhaps if I lived in the same place my entire life, I wouldn't appreciate what I have. Life is funny like that. You always want what you can't have and you don't appreciate what you do have.

This holiday season, it is time to get back to basics. Make every second count and spend some quality time with the people who care about me. Life is short and it is important to have priorities. Family and friends are a priority. Getting ahead in life is not. There is no reason for me to compete any ways. I have what I need and I am happy with what I have.

Tags:
* * * * * * * *
* * * * * * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)