HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Friday, June 16, 2006

Freddy

Freddy performs frequently at open mics across the globe

Well, I just have Freddy vs Jason to watch until I finish my series on the Friday the 13th movies. Before blogging, I watched all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies in order. It was all leading up to Freddy vs Jason. Now, I won't go into details about all the movies but thought I'd share some quick thoughts from what I remember about these movies.


  • Freddy 1 - The original and I guess the best in the series. Freddy is actually very creepy and menacing as the pedophile ex-killer with the glove of knives who attacks the children in their sleep. It also features Johnny Depp, who dies by getting sucked into his bed and getting chopped to pieces. The main issue is all the inconsistencies, especially with regard to Freddy. But it achieves its goal and is actually fairly scary. Still, this movie had so much potential - the idea is actually very good but the execution was lacking. To use the same ratings as the Jason movies, I would say it's Horrorific.
  • Freddy 2 - Maybe the gayest movie of all time. From that perspective, it is not very scary and only really works on an unintentional comedy scale. Almost every guy has his shirt unbuttoned or off in every scene. There's some S&M thrown in. Overall, I can't believe it was ever released. Better yet, I can't believe there wasn't more outrage when it was released. The homosexual undertones are right on the surface - there's nothing even thinly veiled about it. Rating - Generic Slasher.
  • Freddy 3 - Close call as to whether this or Freddy 1 is the best in the series. It all takes place in a mental institution with a rag tag bunch of teens who team up to fight Freddy. They're the Dream Warriors! It stars Patricia Arquette in maybe her finest acting performance ever. The major flaw is that by this point Freddy is more comedian than killer. The latent pedophilia and overall creepiness of Freddy has been replaced by a dude cracking wise. Still, it's about to get awful - Horrorific.
  • Freddy 4 & Freddy 5 - I can't even differentiate between these 2 movies except to know that both involved some chick with dream powers. It was all very stupid. And all the while Freddy is just hamming it up for the audience. Truly Awful.
  • Freddy 6 - Maybe the worst movie ever. Actually, it's not as bad as the last 2 Jason movies. But in that vein and very close. It does feature Breckin Meyer, the dude from Road Trip who was also in Clueless and is generally very forgettable in everything he does. I would not recommend watching this under any circumstance. Unwatchable.
  • Freddy 7 - Surprisingly the 3rd best movie in the series. This was the movie that was supposed to bring life back to the franchise. Unfortunately it didn't fare too well at the box office. It's a movie in a movie where Freddy starts terrorizing the actors making a new Nightmare on Elm Street movie. They even brought back Wes Craven for this one. It's a tough call because it straddles two levels, but I'll call it Horrorific.

So as you can see by the ratings, Friday the 13th is definitely the better series. The 2 biggest mistakes with Freddy is when they made him a comedian more than a killer and all the inconsistencies in the movies.

Horrorific

Freddy 1

Freddy 3

Freddy 7

Truly Awful

Freddy 4

Freddy 5

Unwatchable

Freddy 6

I have Freddy vs Jason at home. Now I just need to find some time to watch it.

Tags: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3 Comments:

Blogger Stealth said...

okay the one I actually saw was where all the actors played themselves. Robert Englund was himself, etc.

Freddy passes into the real world.

IT was scary and he wasn't funny in it.

That's the only one I've seen and I can't remember the name of it. As far as old horror movies, it scared me.

Damn...it was....Wes Craven's New Nightmare??

The child singing one two...freddy's coming for you...

I guess the one I watched was actually frightening...I remember some gay ending vaguely about a bunson burner or oven or something, but until then, the chick was freaking out because no one believed her..

I dunno. I have "The Others", "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", "True Romance", "Sixth Sense"...you know real scary shite.

I also have scary shite like "back to school" and "animal house"...that't beside the point and tmi.

Point is, as far as OLD horror flicks goes, the mental institution scene with the young child and blood everywhere gave me the creeps at the time.

However, Wes Craven was involved and I read Wes Craven
(unaware of the movies he did)

His books rock my socks. I take that back. Oh man, what a night. It is Clive Barker I read. Eff Wes. Isn't he the pinhead dude? I saw a split second of that with him (pinhead) forcing a priest to

get down on his knees and accept sacrament from one of the pins in his head. It had a writhing worm on it. That horrified me.

He even made the priest say the parishioner's part. (p:body of christ bread of heaven..victim: amen) I was maybe 15.

I turned it off. Why am I still talking.. Oh yeah, because someone poisened my drink last night and it appears even under the influence of tequila mixed with date rape, my subconscious is running on NUN.

6/17/2006 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger billie said...

my husband and i did 'lord of the rings' marathon last weekend. i have a feeling i enjoyed my movies more than you did.

6/17/2006 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Tom G said...

Maybe I will do Lord of the Rings next. I am looking for another, though better, series.

6/19/2006 12:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)