HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Extravagant Gay Lifestyle

In anticipation of my post dissecting the arguments for and against gay rights, I thought I'd offer a thought or two to set the mood. See, I feel the only way to properly write this post is to take the time to think it out. So I'm jotting down notes and creating outlines and just need some time to devote to it. Expect it by the end of the weekend.

I wanted to bring up some points from a discussion I had with my cousin Robb in the DC area a few weekends ago. It's a thought perpetuated by the right wing propaganda machine, or at least the outspoken anti-gay establishment. And it's rather quite humorous. It's the idea that gays lead a lifestyle filled with extravagance and amazement. There really seems to be a jealousy from these people with the gay lifestyle. And I'm not saying there doesn't exist the hatred among the religious rabblerousers. That definitely exists. Yet there's also a huge group who seem to despise gays because the fantasy gay adventure they envision is so much more glamorous than their own lives.

Think about it logically. Would people openly choose a lifestyle where you are constantly discriminated against and had less rights than if you made other choices? The obvious answer is no. But to admit there's some truth to gayness not being a choice leads them to find other rationale. And the most frequent rationale is that people choose to be gay because of the wonderful lifestyle. I mean, haven't you seen the gay cruise ship videos and the gay pride parades with men dressing as women and the debauchery. And they have such nice clothes and hair and blah blah blah. If only these people ever stopped to know gay people they would be disappointed. For, shock!!! Gay people live surprisingly similar lives to straight people. They actually have to work and pay bills and get stuck in traffic and have to fix the furnace when it goes out and must cook food and clean up their house and... Overall, they tend to live the same mundane existence most of us straight people live. Sure, some live glamorous lives. But then again, so do some straight people.

More on this topic later.

Tags: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9 Comments:

Blogger Stealth said...

um, I am conservative, but I find the appeal of another woman quite fascinating.

I am also crazy apparantly, so I guess it doesn't matter...

6/13/2006 08:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the deal with the dramatic build up to your world changing Opus on gay rights? What is there to debate? Sure, I think it's sad when people are alienated or, worse, discriminated against or even physically abused because they are gay. However, MOST people feel this way. The religious right live in a bursting bubble (you saw how far the 'no-marriage-for-gays' measure went in the REPUBLICAN controlled Congress). Isn't this REALLY about YOU and your need to make a dramatic displpay us of how 'oh-so-tolerant' you are? We're all sure you're an openminded saint who loves gays, blacks and cripples. Hate and War are BAD - agreed. Got any other bold, original stands to take?

Sincerely,
An Bitter Cynic (ABC)

.\/.
~

6/13/2006 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mike K said...

Huh? We never claimed any of our ideas are bold and/or original. Everything that has been done and said has been done and said a million times over.

Basically all we do is share our opinions and dice it up with a little bit of humor. Even that is not original.

Speaking for Tom and I, neither one of us can be classified a saint. We've done things that we have not been proud about. Who hasn't?

But anyways, should we be satisfied with just most people agreeing that hate crimes are wrong. Do you think a mom who has just had her child killed/beatup for being a certain color, race, or religion will be satisfied with people telling her, "Well most people think that was wrong?" The fact is that this stuff has been happening forever. I think our society would be more healthy if it didn't exist.

Sincerely,
Saint Mike K

6/14/2006 08:44:00 AM  
Blogger Tom G said...

That's awesome.

Basically, I've been promising for months to fully explore "controversial" subjects but had some new job responsibilities that made that impossible. I was just alluding to this point for any of our regular readers. And the point is to look at the arguments made by either side and either agree or refute the arguments. Not so much to say I'm so great but to understand where I truly stand on the issue. It's too easy in our society to take a side without really thinking about what it means or the implications.

And not to be too nitpicky, but at what point did I ever mention that I had some big revelations that were going to change the world? My whole point is just to thoroughly write about the subject so I know where I stand. It's all about me baby. I hate people who don't think for themselves and if I'm not willing to do it on even topics where I'm pretty certain I know where I stand, then I'm being hypocritical. And I try to minimize that as much as possible.

Just a dude whose opinion matters to those that care.

6/14/2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Mike K said...

Tom is right, we write because we find it fun, it improves our writing skills, and it helps us explore our thoughts on issues.

It is great and all that we have some readers, but we are not hoping to get rich or change people's opinions. We do hope that we make people think or laugh a little bit, although we know that we fail at that sometimes too.

6/14/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Stealth said...

I love how your right wing readers pretend they don't like girl on girl action.

So...if you were offered a two woman sandwich, you would turn it down.??? Do you masturbate?

Jokingly,
Melanie

6/15/2006 02:41:00 AM  
Blogger Stealth said...

hmph...no one can ever answer me...oh well.. I hope my comments don't scare your other commeters.

oops.

perhaps they just assume I am crazy and not noteworthy of tangling with...

sadly missing out on debate,
M

6/15/2006 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Mike will be a Saint when he leaves my antfarm.

-God

6/16/2006 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Pengakuan Gay Indonesia said...

HELLO...
EXCUSE ME...
I'M INDONESIAN, MY NAME IS AJI. 27YO. STAY & BORN IN
BELITUNG ISLAND. BANGKABELITUNG PROVINCE. PART OF
SUMATERA.
*
IF U LIKE TOURS ALL AROUND OF ASIA, MIGHT GO TO INDONESIA? WE CAN SEE...
MY TOWN,BELITUNG IS NEW TOURISM ROUTE IN INDONESIA.
SMALL ISLAND,ANY 5FLIGHT FROM JAKARTA DURING 45MINUTES.
U CAN GET MORE INFORMATION, ALL ABOUT BELITUNG, ON GOOGLE!
*
I'M WORKING AT HOTEL, AS A KITCHEN STAFF (COOK),
MY BASIC INDONESIAN FOOD.
I'M YOUNGEST IN FAMILY.
HAVE ONE SISTER. SHE HAS MARRIAGE. HAVE 2KIDS.
HAVEN'T MOM & DADDY, THEY IS DEAD.
*
ON HERE, I'M LOOKING FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL TO RELATIONSHIP.
MUST BE GOOD PERSONALITY. HE IS HONEST! SINCERE! HUMBLE!
NOT SELFISH! OVER ALL ABOUT ONE IS RIGHT.
I HOPE, SAME POINT TO FOUND...
*
PLEASE CONTACT :
EMAIL : PALATMERAH@GMAIL.COM
OR
MANY HAVE MY PIC,PLEASE ADD :
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/AJI.SETIAWAN.1986
OR
MY PHONE : +6285664600785 / BBM / WHATSAPP, ASKED ME???
THANK'S...
FRIENDSHIP ITS OK!
"THE HUMAN IS RIGHT, FROM INTEND, MUST BE ACCEPT ALL THE
WEAKNESS FROM HIM PARTNER"

9/22/2013 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)