HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Bush Order: Spy on Journalists

On my various web travels, I discovered a post by Capitol Blue’s Doug Thompson on Bush’s current war on journalism. I included some key excerpts in italics although I encourage you to read the entire article. Normally I don’t like posting other people’s work, but there is too much at stake this time:

Bush recently directed Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to use "whatever means at your disposal" to wiretap, follow, harass and investigate journalists who have published stories about the administration's illegal use of warrantless wiretaps, use of faulty intelligence and anything else he deems "detrimental to the war on terror."

As part of the investigation, the Justice Department, Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency are wiretapping reporters' phones, following journalists on a daily basis, searching their homes and offices under a USA Patriot Act provision that allows "secret and undisclosed searches" and pouring over financial and travel records of hundreds of Washington-based reporters.

Just how widespread, and uncontrolled, this latest government assault has become hit close to home last week when one of the FBI's National Security Letters arrived at the company that hosts the servers for this web site, Capitol Hill Blue.

The letter demanded traffic data, payment records and other information about the web site along with information on me, the publisher.

Now that's a problem. I own the company that hosts Capitol Hill Blue. So, in effect, the feds want me to turn over information on myself and not tell myself that I'm doing it. You'd think they'd know better.

It is really unbelievable. If Bush gets away with this… Sigh. With this Congress, I am not holding my breath. But anyway please if you are reading this blog, let other people know about Doug’s situation. I doubt he is an isolated case. The Bush administration has declared a war on the citizens of the USA.
wiretap links:
* * * Congressional Probe of NSA Spying Is in Doubt

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom G said...

Not to get all conspiracy theorist on this but the complicity of the media and all Republicans to ultimately defend the Bush administration no matter how unpopular is puzzling. When things like this come out you wonder what information exactly these guys have hanging over their heads. Either that or the DC crowd is so out of touch with reality. More on this later in a post.

3/09/2006 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)