HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oscar Revival: '80-'84

In a lot of ways the Oscars are irrelevant. Of course that's a struggle with trying to reward art at a point in time. Opinion and relevance are constantly changing. While "Dances With Wolves" beat "Goodfellas" in 1990, hardly anyone would even say the two movies are close nowadays. So in that spirit, I will make my predictions for Best Picture starting with the 80s. I would like to start earlier but noticed I had not seen many of those films. As a disclaimer, I may have watched some of these movies as a kid which will bias my prediction. And I'm loosely judging on artistic merits and social relevance / popularity. It's all subjective anyway.

Bolded is my choice. Order is my order.

1980
Raging Bull
Ordinary People
Coal Miner's Daughter
The Elephant Man
Tess

1981
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Reds
Chariots of Fire
On Golden Pond
Atlantic City

1982
ET
Gandhi
Tootsie
The Verdict
Missing

1983
The Big Chill
Terms of Endearment
The Right Stuff
Tender Mercies
The Dresser

1984
Places in the Heart
The Killing Fields
Amadeus
A Soldier's Story
Passage to India



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)