HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Bulls Rally to 3rd Place Finish

Fueled by Steve Balboni's Herculean season, the Hackensack Bulls rallied over the last few weeks to finish the season at 74-88 and in 3rd place in their division. While the piching staff was a monumental disappointment, the Bulls have to take solace in the fact that they fought right until the very end. The Bulls will undeniably use the lessons learned from this season along with the late season momentum as they head into next season.

At next weekend's banquet we will be giving out the individual awards. But here's a preview, along with a summary of the season:

MVP - Steve "Bye Bye" Balboni
What a ride it was. While only hitting .221, he did hit 45 HRs and drive in 107 RBIs, besting the season put together by Babe Ruth. And he played all position but catcher and pitcher and even attempted 3 stolen bases (0 actual steals though). There's no other way to say it - it's a travesty that Balboni is not in the Hall of Fame.

Cy Young -Tom Seaver
Can you really give the team Cy Young to a guy who loses 21 games? Has an ERA of 4.48? Gives up 50 HRs? Well, when you're as bad as the Bull's pitching staff, sadly the answer is yes. He was second on the team with 14 wins, had 299 Ks, and teams batting only .214 against him. I really wish I could give it to someone else but...

Silver Slugger - Lou Brock
Lou was Mr Consistency for the Bulls as he hovered around .300 all season long while remaining a serious base stealing threat. His .303-15-77 with 56 SBs make this a no-brainer.

Biggest Surprise - Smoky Burgess
I wasn't quite sure what I was getting with Burgess but he exceeded my expectations and then some. Ending up at .280-23-76 from the catcher position was great. The only downside was his horrendous play when trying to throw out base stealers. He allowed 113 SBs!

Biggest Disappointment - Tom Seaver
I know I gave him the Cy Young but I expected so much more from him. A 14-21 season is just not what you expect from arguably one of the top pitchers of all time. But it tells you how poorly my staff performed when he can win the Cy Young with such pedestrian numbers.

I can't wait to do this again. And you better believe I'm jumping back on the Balboni bandwagon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Balboni is truly a great american hero.

1/31/2007 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger Tom G said...

If I ever become president, I'm inviting Steve Balboni to my State of the Union address. Better yet, I'm make him my Secretary of Offense - he may strikeout a lot but he'll definitely hit some towering home runs.

1/31/2007 06:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)