HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sal Fasano, My Hero


I discovered a guy I like to call Sal Fasano a month or so ago. My brother was in town for the weekend and we ducked into one of Chicago's finest drinking establishments to hang out with one of his college friends. On the TV screen in the bar was a Sunday night game between the SF Giants and the Philadelphia Phillies. And who kept appearing on my TV screen? None other than one Sal Fasano. He may not be the most gifted or most athletic or even all that good, but he looks like a catcher. And might I add, he looks like a catcher straight out of the 1970s or 1980s. So why other people may have heroes that are superheroes or firefighters or sports superstars, I prefer a regular Joe like Sal Fasano. For he shows that while talent and skill and being in shape should prohibit you from playing in the major leagues, it doesn't always. And for that reason - the hope he inspires in me - Sal Fasano is my hero. If he can have a major league career, then I can do anything too.

Tags: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Sal Fasano is the Sal Fasano of baseball, and Isaac Newton is the Isaac Newton of physics, who might be the Sal Fasano of Physics? Would it perhaps be some physics teacher at the hi school or undergrad level who is in all ways medicore with a look straight outta the 70s or 80s? Hmmm... I will now have to keep an eye out for Fasanos here, there, everywhere, in all awalks of life. You are a great man - no Fasano you - for you have just created a new metaphor for medicority. More- a new word and concpet - the Fasano - one who is mediocre in all ways and perhaps a bit out of touch with the times but is nevertheless, well, endearing in some strange yet profound way.

An analogy pops to mind- Comfort food:Gourmet:: Fasano : Babe Ruth

The VW Bug - the old sdchool Beetle, not that young imposter - is a Fasano. It's an uuglycrappy utility vehicle invented by the Nazis buitdsmned if it isn't lovable.

Oh well, you getthe idea - I award you 5 stars for bringing me nto Fsano-consciousness; I will never be the same.

6/21/2006 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger Tom G said...

I like it. I will try to spread using Fasano as much as possible. Much like I did with pittsnogled, which can hopefully be revived with the NBA draft.

6/22/2006 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)