HOME
NEXT PAGE
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIBE

Friday, February 17, 2006

Hip Hop Hooray

Hey Everybody,

My name is Tom Gould and thanks to Mike I'll be blogging on Life is Crap. I hope to provide you with harrowing tails of survival. Well, actually, I plan to share my thoughts about everything from '80s wrestling to the latest political news to my thoughts on dreaming. Whether you care or not remains to be seen. But I hope to provide some laughs, provoke some thoughts, and cause at least one tear. Because in a sense Life is Crap. You are born, you risk death everyday, and then finally you succumb to life's evil clutches. So I hope to make the world a little less crappy so that one day I can say Life is still Crap, but not nearly as crappy as it was yesterday

A little about myself. I'm 30, single, and live in Chicago. I grew up in Plymouth, MI, a suburb outside of Detroit that borders Ann Arbor. I'm the oldest of 3 boys. I have degrees in economics and math from The University of Michigan and currently work in market research. I could go on and go about myself, but that will hopefully come through my postings. Plus, I will actually fill out my profile at some time. Until then, I'll briefly try to explain the punk rock lifestyle I try to live knowing full well I'll talk about it many many more times.

I may have co-opted the term punk rock for how I aspire to live my life, but it has a good ring to me. For me, punk rock is essentially rooted in the DIY mantra. When one thinks of '70s punk rock, such disparate bands as The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Television, The Ramones, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Gang of Four are often referenced. While musically they may not have all been similar, they had a common spirit. And it's that spirit I hope to invoke throughout my life. Sure, I'm oversimplifying everything but at least I realize that. But I adhere to the notion that one individual can make a difference. Cause when you boil it down, all you can control is yourself. You can influence others, inspire others, lead others, but at the end of the day they are free to do whatever they want. The only actions you can control are the ones you commit. So I'm committed to living my life in a way I can take pride in it. One that respects the rights of others. One that thinks equality of individuals is an inalienable right. One who acts in the best interest of everyone and not just in the short term interests of myself. And one who strives to work towards a society where everyone is free, equal, and open to the same opportunities I have been lucky enough to have. There will be plenty more on this throughout my posts, but I thought a little taste may help you understand where I'm coming from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Main

Life is Crap: A blog covering: humor, news, politics, music, movies, tv, sports, and other things.
Questions? Comments? Death Threats? Suggestions? Contact us: thecrapspot@yahoo.com
(Home) (Archives) (Next page) (Subscribe to Life is Crap)